Friday, October 12, 2012

Foodie Friday- Baked Potato Soup

I love a good, hearty soup on a crisp fall day and this potato soup stands up to my every desire in a fall soup!  It appears frequently in our home from now until March.  We originally got this recipe from a friend of the family, but I've made some adaptations over the last year or so to make it so much better!
Baked Potato Soup

5-6 lg baking potatoes
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 green onions chopped
12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 chicken bouillon cubes
8 oz sour cream

Wash potatoes and bake in 400 oven until done (can cook them in the microwave if that's easier). Cool and cut into 1/2" cubes. Melt butter over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually add mild and cook over medium heat. Stir until mixture is thick and bubbly. Add potato cubes, salt, pepper, onion, bacon, cheese and chicken base. Cook until well heated. Stir in sour cream.

My adaptations:
We usually add about 3/4 of a bottle of beer (or as Jarrod says, 1 bottle of beer minus 3 sips...no worries, I leave him the 3 sips after I use what I need) before adding the sour cream.  This gives it a good depth of flavor and it's not as thick. I have found that I really don't measure out the cheese, but I usually use at least 2-3 cups.  I find sharp (or extra sharp) cheddars (white or yellow) fit the flavor profiles the best.  The bite of the extra sharp cheddar pairs nicely with the beer, usually a Yuengling or a Pale Ale.  I usually serve this with a few fresh cut chives, some crumbled bacon, and a dollop of sour cream on top.
One of my favorite qualities of this soup is that it tastes even better when it's reheated.  The only downfall is that the green onions are a little wilty.  Solution?  Don't mix them into the soup, just sprinkle some on top before you serve:)

No comments:

Post a Comment