Thursday, October 11, 2012

Eating Humble Pie....

...or the one where Mommy got a speeding ticket...
I debated even writing this post, but I decided it was good for me and that some day Bug and Doodle will laugh about it and I might even chuckle a little myself. 

Today started off as a normal day- story time at one of the local orchards, stop at Wal-Mart for some baby shower decorations, heading to one of the local parks...and then time seemed to stand still.  I was driving one of the roads that I used to drive almost daily when teaching, a road I grew up driving that isn't far from my parents' home.  I'm sure I knew the speed limit was 35, but I wasn't paying a bit of attention to the speed limit.  I was kind of in my own little world, listening to music on the radio, talking to Bug and Doodle about going to the park and the nature center, and couldn't begin to tell you what speed I was driving.  I wasn't driving recklessly, mind you, but apparently I wasn't driving 35 mph either. 

Then it happened.  That moment where you see flashing red and blue lights behind you, you pull over hoping that Mr. State Trooper has a bigger emergency to get to and will fly by you, and then the lights pull over onto the non-existent shoulder right behind you, the Lead-Footed Mama who wasn't going 35 mph in a 35 mph zone.  You stop the car, pull out your license and registration, and unbuckle your seat belt because you've parked your car.  Then you realize you've unbuckled your seatbelt, you don't want to get an additional fine for driving without it on, and quickly rebuckle before Mr. State Trooper appears at your window.  Yep, that pretty much sums up 10:45-10:52 this morning.  Bug certainly didn't get what was going on and I'm sure had many questions running through her head that fortunately she didn't verbalize.  I already wanted to sink into the floor boards because not only was I about to get a ticket (and a whopping fine), but it had happened with my kids in the car (yes, there were tears).  Then the part that caused me to eat a BIG slice of pie (humble pie that is)..."Mommy, I sorry," chimed Bug from the backseat.  All of a sudden it clicked in my mind that Bug thought it was her fault that we had to sit still on the side of the road and wait for Mr. State Trooper to return to Mama's car.  "Bug, this isn't your fault.  This is Mommy's fault.  Mommy was disobedient and broke a rule."  Wow, that's hard to swallow, but hopefully we both learned a lesson. 

 Next time it's time for pie, I'd prefer pumpkin instead of humble...or could you at least add a nice big scoop of ice cream on top of my  humble pie?

No comments:

Post a Comment