Saturday, July 28, 2012

Haircuts and the Olympics

Today was a pretty big day in the life of Bugaboo.  We had a playdate with new friends she'd never played with before (though I've known their mom for about a year or so through our Mom N' Me group) and she had a blast. The highlight for her was probably a tie between dumping water on each other at our water table and getting to share her watermelon popsicles with her new friend.  Yes, the bond of sharing food starts at a young age.  Even at the ages of 2 and 1/2 and 3 and 1/2 food seems to seal the bonds of friendship and fellowship like no other...that and sharing things like tricycles, baby strollers, and sliding boards.

Then I decided this evening that since I was long overdue for a haircut, I'd take Bug with me and let her get her first haircut.  All of the flyaways and mullet-like strands were starting to drive me crazy!  She did an amazing job sitting like a pro on my lap in her cute little animal cape.  Jodi, my beloved hairdresser, did a phenomenal job explaining each step to her and in the end only about an inch and a half or so was cut off.  Best part of the whole thing for Bug?  The lollipop of course...no, not getting to watch PBS Kids on Daddy's Droid (something that rarely happens), not spending time alone with Mommy (something that rarely happens), not getting to pick out a bracelet...nope, getting to eat a lollipop (which is also something that rarely happens).  I will say that Bug was a bit befuddled by my "eyebrows getting a haircut" which was the best way I knew to explain eyebrow waxing to a 2 year old:)

And finally, I let Aubri stay up for some of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies.  My dear husband doesn't seem to understand my enthusiasm or what the fuss is all about, but Bugaboo will be 6 and 1/2 the next time the summer Olympics roll around.  Unfortunately, she only made it until about 8:30 and just didn't quite get all of the fuss over British history and all of the loud drums.  And while I appreciated it a little more, I didn't get all of it either.  It didn't quite live up to the opening ceremonies in Beijing 4 years ago.

So here's to new adventures with my little girl and several weeks of Olympic fun!  Happy weekend everyone!
                                                            Before Bug's first haircut

                                                         After Bug's first haircut

No comments:

Post a Comment