Friday, September 14, 2012

Barbies and Babies

Once I had decided I was definitely going to nurse Doodle, I knew it was pretty much inevitable that at some point Bug would try "nurse" her baby dolls.  This is just something little girls do (you can ask me sometime about how I nursed my "baby" discreetly after my little sister was born).  However, I was pretty confident it would just be her baby dolls (i.e. cute, cuddly dolls with stuffed bodies that come with every baby accessory that you can imagine stepping on...I mean, playing with).  But recently the daughter of a close friend was cleaning out her toys and decided to hand down her Disney princess Barbie dolls to Bug (Ariel, Snow White i.e. Snow Man in Bug's terms, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella).  Bug was THRILLED!  This was her first introduction to Barbie dolls and she loves their little shoes and taking off their pretty dresses.

Yes...taking off their dresses is what led to this mama being slightly disturbed.  It is fairly normal for Bug to pick up a baby doll when I'm feeding Doodle and "nurse" it.  It's also fairly normal for her to find a bottle and some tubing and tell me she needs to "pump."  But on this particular day, we were just driving to meet J for lunch.  She had her babies (Barbie dolls) in the backseat of the car and had decided they needed to be "nakie babies."  Then she said, "Mommy, I need to nurse my babies."  So I look back and see Bug stuffing the Disney princess Barbie doll under her shirt.  Now, it doesn't bother me at all when she does this with her cute, innocent dollies, but something about stuffing a very naked, very well-endowed, buxom Belle Barbie doll under her shirt just disturbed me!

No comments:

Post a Comment